For their 6 month birthday we decided it was time to get these boys frequent flyer accounts. Yes, 6 months to the day we took them on their first flight. It was a rude awakening to go from flying as two adults with no children to two adults and two infants. Ok, it wasn't that bad, but it wasn't great. Thankfully our first flight was only from SLC to LAX. We knew we could survive anything for an hour and a half. I've heard people talk about traveling with children and all the stuff that you have to take. Yeah, with two car seats, a very large double stroller, and all the stuff that goes with babies, we were quite the spectacle. I honestly don't take the boys very many places. I try to run most errands without them, so I forgot how much of an attraction we are. We had random people peeking in their carseats at them and stopping me in the terminal to ask if they were twins. To all my friends who have flown cross country flights with small babies, I have an immense amount of respect for you. When we returned home last night I swore we would not take these boys on a plane again until they were five. On our flight out they were okay.For the most part they didn't cry at the same time. You know it wasn't too bad because at the end of the flight the guy in the row in front of us turns around and says, "Oh, twins! I should have turned around and looked." On the flight home there was much more crying and unfortunately it was simultaneous. We got a lot more comments like, "Tough flight." and "Somebody isn't happy" and we had a flight attendant trying his hardest to cheer up Isaac. I just about started to cry towards the end of the flight because there was NOTHING I could do to get Isaac to calm down. Thankfully, just as the tears started to come, he suddenly calmed down and fell asleep. Unfortunately we realized on the plane that these little boys had come down with a cold. Their noses started running and they were sneezing. Yeah, they were pretty much miserable and so were we. But we're home and the time in Cali was worth it, so regardless of the flights, we're glad made the the trip. Some highlights:
We took the PCH from LAX up to Santa Paula

I looked for celebrities as we drove through Malibu...no luck

The preferred form of beach transit for the boys
First time at the beach...

Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Goin' Back to Cali
Posted by The Spendloves at 9:38 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




12 comments:
Great pictures!!! I almost didn't scroll down and see them cause I peeked at the blog and saw the family sticker thing and thought there wasn't anything new. Good thing I saw the new family picture in Ventura...very cute. Sorry the flight wasn't so great. I'm not sure what is worse...babies that just cry or 2 year olds that cry and want to run everywhere...up and down the isles...yep...maybe 5 is a good time to fly again! hee hee.
So who took these pictures? We can never get a shot of our whole family. Yours are great!
Love you-ca
I think in that picture of you with the Bjorn you are topless with nothing but a baby Bjorn to cover up! I know all about that, you know. I do live right by South Beach. Yeah, I'm having hesitations about coming at Christmas. Or if I do, I may have to stay longer to make an all-day flight with twins worth it.
Wonderful pictures! So glad you survived the flights. Perhaps in retrospect benadryl would have been just the thing, given the stealth colds and such!
Benadryl for flights is definitely the way to go. Maybe when you fly again when they're five, you can stock up. Awesome pictures! :)
We've all been there with a crying baby on a plane---no fun....BUT you are an awesome moommy for enduring those times so you can still have fun and go on vacation (it is worth it!!)
Sorry to hear about the trip home. But I am so glad you guys came to Cali and I finally got to meet those cute babies before they aren't babies anymore. I still want a little of their cute chubbie cheeks.
Oh, those boys are so cute. I love their first photos at the beach. I can't wait to see them in person.
Cammy W found our blog & it led me to yours & many others in our ward! I hope you don't mind, but when I saw your name I had to look & it's so fun to see all your cute pics & read more about you guys! You're awesome parents :) Our blog is sleeplessinsaltlake.blogspot.com if you're interested. Love, Laura A
Flying takes on a whole new level of needed energy when you bring kids along, we agree! We've had our share of flights where our kids were the crying ones, and yeah, folks try to be kind, but you know it grinds on them as well as you.
Glad you got to go home to the VTA! Looks like a fun time, for sure. And the drive along the PCH from LAX towards home is sooooooo nice. Inhaling the thick, salty ocean air and beautiful scenery is always worth the trip.
We still need to hook up and have you over for dinner sometime soon!
Moose
Brooke,
I love these pictures of your boys! So cute in their little hats and swimsuits! Looks like a great day at the beach. Love your blog, as always!
By the way, I made your infamous apple pie a while back and it was yummy! It made me think of you! :)
I finally got on the computer! Great pictures and even greater memories. I'm so glad you were there for Dad and me. We all had a wonderful time. Come again soon - maybe you could drive this time:) Love Mom
We didn't have any issues on the plane to/from Utah (except for Sam and I being flu-sick on the way home), but the sheer numbers make you look like a circus. Made me so glad that I live by family right now when the kids are young. I love how no one says something to you until after the flight--"what a good traveller...she is so cute, etc." That has happened every time we have flown. Everyone just eyes us until the end.
Post a Comment