Friday, December 19, 2008

I Have a Problem . . .

Each December since Shawn and I've been together we get these in the mail from my
wonderful mother-in-law.

They look harmless enough. Until you open them...

I love all of these.

They've never been a problem before because I left the house a whole lot more than I do now. But this year every time I open the cupboard door I see them and I have to go against my first instinct to "just grab one," because one is never enough of these fantastic treats. Shawn doesn't understand because he's gone most of the day and let's face it, he's a guy. His thoughts don't revolve around sugar.

Some days my self-control is in tip top shape. But you know the day is going bad if one of these makes it in my mouth before breakfast.

Any tips? I have entitlement issues with sweets. If I've had a stressful day with work calls or with the boys, I "deserve" something. I've tried having fruit as my "something sweet" after a meal. But I was eating so many clementines, I think I gave my boys a diaper rash. Until I figure this out I'll just try and work out enough to counter act my problems... but hey, at least they taste great... and they are so worth it.

6 comments:

Tennille said...

Now you see the problem of working from home. Of course, I have to sneak treats so my kids won't want some. But with T's supersonic hearing, this is difficult to do. I always talk about using fruits or veggies for my little snacks, but it never seems to last...

SuburbiaMom said...

Aw, I had this same problem a few years ago when all of the women at my husband's office were dieting at the same time. They thought since we had 4 kids that we must eat cookies and sweets all the time--they gave him ALL of their holiday goodies. I hate wasting food and I also hate that guilty feeling you are talking about.

My solution? Freeze the goodies in small plastic bags. Than you can get a few out at a time. You'll still know that they're in the freezer but a frozen cookie is less tempting than a soft, thawed one!

Good luck!!

Monica said...

ah...yea...if you actually figure this one out let me know. Besides completely throwing them out, never baking, and never buying anything, I'm not sure how to do it. Moderation looses when you have just had a four hour battle with boys in the mall! Therapy....therapy!!

oh and we have tried freezing them and only then did we realize that we like things frozen just as much! ugh!

Jules said...

Just pass them this way. I have no qualms with eating sweets. I try to sneak treats, too, but my kids always smell chocolate on my breath.

Riewerts' said...

Brooke - Like you even have to worry! We just got your Christmas card and you and your boys are beautiful! Oh, and we are slackers this year and lost like everyone's address/email so please email me your updated address if possible -- teresajagard@hotmail.com. Thanks!
oh and by the way, remember the days when we used to be able to just eat it all and run a little extra to burn it off??? Well now that I have joined the "29 forever" club - that's not working so much anymore...hmm...it looks like it's just time to get pregnant again! jk!!!!

Merry Christmas!!
Teresa Riewerts

Jen I said...

Yeah, eat less dinner and feel like you balanced out your calories so it's all good.