On our first date, which really wasn't a date because we were on a ward campout, I learned quickly that Shawn was allergic to ALL nuts. ALL NUTS!!! This did not sit well with me. I love peanut butter. I love peanut butter and chocolate together. But my favorite are hazelnuts. My favorite spread is Nutella. I tried to eat it everyday on my mission. And his worst allergy is to hazelnuts. Awesome... I immediately thought that this relationship was not going to work. I foresaw too much sacrifice on my part :) .
Well since today is our third anniversary, I obviously got over the nut thing... well let's just say that I found that it wasn't that big of a deal. I could still eat peanut butter when he wasn't around. I had a little jar of peanut butter in my desk at work. Sometimes I would get myself a nut based treat at the grocery store.
But when I had the boys the pediatrician recommended I refrain from eating nuts for awhile since I was nursing because of the possibility of the boys having Shawn's allergies. Then finally at their 9 month appointment, the pediatrician said it would be okay for me to eat nuts. What a beautiful day! But I was still eating them outside of the house and being super careful around the boys.
Well, those days are OVER!!! We got them tested on Monday and they are in the clear.(Isaac is allergic to eggs, which we knew already, but he will probably grow out of that) They both had their first taste of peanut butter yesterday and some banana bread with walnuts. I was a little nervous to give them something I had been avoiding for so long, but nothing happened. They liked both!
So while I can't enjoy peanut butter and hazelnuts with Shawn, at least I can enjoy them with my little guys. So if anyone wants a peanut butter sandwich, come on over!!
We took pictures of their backs from the allergy testing. I'll post them when I can get them off of Shawn's phone.
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
PB and J Anyone?
Posted by The Spendloves at 11:56 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
Hooray! So glad they're not allergic.
We've become completely addicted to the Reese's Easter Eggs. Completely addicted. Mmmm.
Yea for peanut butter! So glad they're not allergic. Peanut butter sandwiches are an important part of growing up. :) I hope the allergy testing they had to do wasn't as painful as mine (multiple pokes of needles up and down my arms which proceed to swell up based on allergic reaction).
Yeah! But, wait. I thought you were supposed to wait until kids were 2 to give them PB? They change these things all the time!
Um, I'm retarded. Today is your anniversary?? Why did I have the 6th in my head? Well, happy anniversary anyway. I think I'll celebrate with one of those big Reese's Peanut Butter eggs they have this time of year... YUM!
My nephew is also highly allergic to nuts and what a lifestyle change that was for their family--and our family, whenever they come to visit.
Glad to hear that the boys aren't allergic to nuts!!
Oh yeah! Happy anniversary! I'm so happy you're in the clear! SERIOUSLY happy for you. Just so much less to worry about at every birthday party, every play date... And you're even ahead of us. We think Phoenix might have a reaction to pineapple, so Ryan put the breaks on giving him anything else that might be allergenic. Lucky boys!
Happy Anniversary Guys! We just celebrated our 10th yesterday! If you have every seen Wedding Crashers and seen the big mansion they stay at..well that's where we stayed at the last 3 days! Amazing!!
And congrats on the peanut butter! Life in school will be so much easier for those guys!
Post a Comment