Saturday, January 12, 2008

Strike One....



Strike One - Modified Bed Rest
Strike Two - Strict Bed Rest
Strike Three - Hospital Bed Rest

The original goal was to avoid all strikes. But, that all changed on Tuesday. Thankfully, at this point it's all precautionary, but it is still a little bit scary. We got a call from our Midwife/OB office that they had some concerns from our last ultrasound. Basically they were worried about the size difference between them and that it could be a sign of twin to twin transfusion. Well, after another ultrasound and a meeting with a perinatologist who specializes in twin complications, we're pretty confident that twin to twin is not happening which is a relief. Neither boy is super big or super small. Austin is in the 77th percentile and Isaac is in the 49th percentile and they both have good amounts of fluid still in their sacs. So, we're in a good position and being almost 33 weeks if anything were to start going the wrong direction, we would just deliver them. Obviously that's not what we want to do, but we'll do anything for healthy boys. At that's where the bed rest comes in. The specialist told me to go on modified bed rest, not to stop me from going into labor or anything, but just to make sure that my body is focusing it's energy on the boys and not on keeping up with my schedule. At first it kind of freaked me out, but it's not as bad as it sounds, a little boring of course. I started working from home the day of the appointment and I've hardly left the house since. Because I've been "good" I got to go to my work baby shower on Friday afternoon. It was so nice to leave the house. Other than that, we've been blessed with visitors. Aunts have volunteered to go grocery shopping for us and have shown up at just the right time to take me somewhere so I didn't need to drive. Friends have shown up to help us get the boys' room prepped and painted and huge progress has been made. So even though this week has been a bit of a roller coaster, we have been blessed in a lot of ways. So here at two new 3-D pictures of the boys. We're getting very excited to meet them. But we're still hoping that our meeting can be postponed for a few more weeks.

6 comments:

Jules said...

Whoa. I wish I could be there to make you some dinner. Thanks for the update. We love you!

Sarah said...

Poor Brooke. Sorry to hear your on bedrest. I used my summer of bedrest to catch up on my journal writing and reading. Just an idea. I'm glad to hear the boys are ok. And I'm happy to know people there are helping you all out. Love you all.

Karen said...

Oh, yikes. I'm sorry you have to be down. But just think of everything you can get done!! Try to be positive... I wish I could come and just sit and talk to you :o)
I'm glad that the boys are OK. Please keep us posted on what's going on, alright?
Love you, BT!

Melin said...

Brooke its Melinda, busting into your blog. Bed rest is awesome. I wish I was put on bed rest right now. Just think this is the only time in your life people DEMAND that you lay down. EAT IT UP!!!
Good luck.

Carrie said...

Especially since you won't be sitting around much after the babies come...catch up on some laziness! Of course we want everything to be okay with you and the boys, but some modified bed rest is a great idea for someone pre-twins!

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

Ooh - modified bedrest. That sounds, well, like something I'm dying to be on right now. Now when your kids are running around and driving you nuts you can sit down and reminisce about this joyous time when you could relax and concentrate on just being pregnant. We're glad things OK. Good luck with the rest!