So here is a great picture of my cute little nephew. I love this picture because he is trying with all of his might to wink and he is mostly successful. Sadly, this is a skill that I have lost in the past few days.
In the interest of making sure I have something new to blog about pregnancy wise, my body decided to start showing signs of Bell's Palsy on Saturday. Oh joy!
On Saturday morning I put some Chapstick on and noticed that I had a hard time rubbing my lips together. It felt like I'd been to the dentist and one side of my lips were still under the effects of Novocaine. Then we were looking at glass frames for me and as I looked at myself I noticed that when I blinked, my left eye blinked, but my right eye didn't. Being the worrier that I am, I immediately evaluated the rest of the day, thinking if I'd had any other odd symptoms, but everything was isolated to my face. Before I mentioned it to Shawn I started looking on the internet and found a few medical journals that said that Bell's Palsy is more common in pregnant women that non-pregnant women. No, it's not common, so don't worry all you pregnant women out there. But if it does happen to you, it's not something to panic about unless your blood pressure goes up. Then it can be a sign of pre-eclampsia. Thankfully, my symptoms are really mild and very few people have noticed, but it's not fun to add one more thing to the list of random things happening to me. I went to my midwife yesterday and they spoke with a neurologist who put me on steroids for the next few weeks to see if that would take care of it. Although, according to the midwife, sometimes steroids work and sometimes they don't. So, we're giving it a shot.
I can't complain too much. I've heard of much worse cases. Other than not being able to wink or blink with my right eye and having a crooked smile, it's not that bad. But it does make me glad I'm working from home right now... I don't want everyone wondering why my left eye keeps winking at them when I try and blink. There could be a lot of confusion.
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Things A Child Can Do Better Than Me
Posted by The Spendloves at 10:17 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
I think it's something only super-observant sisters (like me, of course) would notice. :)
Okay, so post a picture of your oddity :-) So sorry Brooke! Hopefully you'll have all your strange prego stuff over and it is smooth sailing from here!
Too bad this didn't happen at Halloween eh? We're glad you are doing well otherwise and we'll continue to pray that you make it to that magic week 36!
Ahh, the joys of pregnancy. Don't you love the internet where you can look things up and discover you are not the only one with something bizarre happening?
Yikes, I bet you were a little freaked out...but knowing facts help! Yea doctors! I bet you are getting close to week 36 huh? Congrats! BTW - how did you ever decide on names already? We thought we had a boy name ready to go, then when it was clear it was a boy...we started all over again! Names are tough!
Post a Comment