Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Long Overdue

I just said to Shawn that I think life gets in the way of parenting. I had to run to the basement to get something and he was in the bathroom at the same time. Since we were doing these two normal things at the same time we left Austin screaming in his crib. Well maybe life is about learning to juggle normal things along with parenting. But I have to say that doing this for the first time with two little guys is not easy.

I have a huge amount of respect for anyone with triplets or more. I
have two arms so I can sort of carry both of them for a little while. And frankly I have a lot of respect for anyone who decides to have more than one child period. There have been a few days (mostly nights) that I have decided that we are done having children. Two is enough, right?

I have been long overdue in updating the blog. Let's just say that when they stopped sleeping decent at night, we didn't take as many pictures and I lost the energy to post. So, either they are sleeping a little better now or I'm just getting used to the sleep deprivation, because I decided to post today.

I think I've been sleep deprived since high school, early morning seminary the culprit. But I've heard that once you have kids then you learn what being tired is really about. And it quickly dawned on me that this wasn't like cramming for finals because I could always go home and sleep during the Christmas break. This sleep deprivation is here to stay. But good thing it comes with some cute kids that I love a whole lot or it would be hard to say that it's worth it.

12 comments:

Jen I said...

Funny, just last night Ryan said we were done having kids (we're not, according to me). It's all about perspective, and relativity I guess, really. When I had one that was all I could handle and it took all my time. Now that I have three I think I could handle the twins fine if it was just them.

For some reason I think Austin looks like your dad in this picture. Maybe it's the cheeks. And the eyes. And the fact that babies look like older men until they grow into their skin anyway.

If you pump in front of the computer you get in more computer time. (Not to give you a visual of my current state or anything!) :)

Jules said...

I have been thinking of you a lot lately. I have only ONE newborn and am dying right now. She has major gas at night so I got 2 1/2 hours of sleep last night--seriously. I finally climbed into our bed at 7am with her lost it. We called mom Mud and she watched the kids so I could sleep. How do you do it w/ 2?!?! Good luck!

Tennille said...

Yeah, yeah, new pictures of the boys! Are these shots of them paired with the correct soccer balls, or did Shawn decide it was ok to switch? I love the one of them linking arms!

Karen said...

so so cute! i can't believe all you people having babies--did you plan it this way??? i need to call you soon, maybe this week. i just don't want to wake you up! :o)
i love the pictures. what precious boys--you are in for a treat!
love, k

Monica said...

I absolutely love the pictures of the boys linking arms like they are the best of buds and have been forever! Precious!

oh and bt if you don't comment on my blog soon I'm going to get a complex!!

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

Cute boys! (Is that sissy? If so, cool boys!)

I know how it feels to be completely exhausted. The worst is when you're so tired but you don't want to go to sleep because you just know someone is going to wake you up in a few minutes. Being woken up just after you fall asleep makes me a crazy lady!

Good luck! I hope they sleep through the night TONIGHT and every night from now on!

Angie said...

Fabulous pix. I agree, the linking arms one is priceless. As for sleep deprivation, it occurred to me recently that, at the ripe age of 38, I have been in search of sleep and/or somehow functioning on too little constantly since the age of 14 with early morning seminary. 24 years! But it is truly amazing what you can learn to adapt to and get by on, not that I'm not hoping and wishing for someday getting my 8 hours back!

Rochelle said...

I have been checking your blog a lot for new pictures! They are so sweet! It sounds like you are hanging in there. I need to call to chat with you soon too!! You seem to be transitioning great! I am sure you are a fabulous mommy for your little twins!

Abby said...

In a year, nothing will be able to convince you that they really did look that tiny next to the soccer ball. T is looking me in the eyes, now. I'm grateful to see such a wonderful young man in his eyes and to realize that I love him even more today than when HE was so tiny. In some ways he needs me more now than he ever did. It's the joy of motherhood. Your Mommy is always your Mommy - even when you're grown. By the way, I loved what you wrote back there Shawn. Sooooo glad you survived the Princess party.

Carrie said...

I can't imagine the twin thing either. However, the scriptures do tell us we aren't given things more than we can handle...so you are doing great, I'm sure:) Also, I think of you when I see Jon and Kate plus 8...have you heard of it? A TLC show about a couple who had twins, then sextuplets. I just discovered it and it is mezmerizing....can you even imagine? As for pictures, keep taking them! I totally regret not having more pictures of both of my babies! I have sworn that I'll take more this time (I am a little picture obsessed though)!

Good luck!

Matt and Jen said...

I was so excited to see more pics of your beautiful boys. I am coming to Utah in July for a family reunion so hopefully I will get to meet them then. Dallin needs to meet his future BYU roomies:)

The Knappy Crew said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.