Monday, January 25, 2010

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good:

(Completely unrelated photo)

These guys successfully stayed with a babysitter Saturday night. We haven't tried to leave them with anyone in months since they were AWFUL in nursery and Isaac had serious trauma the last time we left him. This time I talked about us leaving them all day. When the babysitter came, I just said we were leaving and said "bye, bye." And it worked!! Our babysitter said he didn't even cry. Why didn't we try this earlier?!?!

And we tried it the next day in nursery. We walked in with them and I put Isaac down. He immediately started to say, "Mama, up, mama, up!" I just knelt down and said, "Mommy and Daddy go bye bye. You play and we'll come back." One of the nursery workers showed him a toy and he was off. He didn't cry at all. Everyone was SHOCKED! One worker asked us if we gave him Nyquil. Who knows... but some kind of light bulb went off in his head and all I can say is, it's about time!!

The Bad:

Sadly, they did not do very good during the first hour of Church. I had to give a talk, so I left before Shawn and the boys so I made sure I was on time. I saved them a row behind some YW who wanted to help if Shawn needed it. Oh boy, did he need help. As soon as he got there they refused to go into the row. Austin literally was trying to crawl out of the row. And then Isaac noticed where I was and started screaming, "Mama, up!" And so it began. Shawn went in and out of Sacrament Meeting trying to keep Isaac from screaming for me. He did quiet down a few times. The nursery leader gave him some crazy toy that would light up. But, by the time I got up to speak he really lost it. Shawn had to walk out with them again and half the congregation was laughing. I actually said, "Sorry Isaac," from the pulpit. Thankfully a very nice couple walked out after Shawn and basically took the boys from him so he could come back in and hear me talk. Miraculously the boys stopped crying when the couple let them write on the chalkboard. So as usual, we continue to be a source of entertainment for our ward.

(Don't they look smart?)


The Ugly:

Sorry babe.... but this one's for you. Saturday night, we left the boys with the aforementioned babysitter. We went to dinner at an Indian restaurant with some friends, one of whom happens to be Indian. Before we even arrived, he had ordered for everyone. He forgot that Shawn was allergic to nuts. We reminded him as soon as we arrived and he pointed out which dishes had nuts. But in the family style setting of the restaurant Shawn accidentally had a few bites of a cashew dish. He knew quickly that something wasn't right, but he just felt sick to his stomach (his standard allergic reaction). As we were driving home things started to get worse. He could barely drive. When we got home I took the babysitter home. By the time I got back he looked BAD, really bad. He was experiencing a lot of swelling and severe chest, stomach and back pain. Needless to say, we had my aunt and grandma come over and we headed to the ER.

After some epinephrine, Benadryl, Pepcid AC, and Prednisone...
He started to look a little better. I was a little too preoccupied to take a picture until his facial swelling had gone down quite a bit. But just imagine that the bridge of his nose is essentially gone from swelling and his eyes are a lot more cat-like. It was freaky.
So we stayed in the ER until about 4am. It was a GREAT Saturday night. Let's just say that our bishopric is really lucky I still spoke the next morning...

10 comments:

Jen I said...

Wow. You guys had an exciting weekend. We've never attempted to sit on the pulpit when we've had to speak in church. It seems to be a recipe for disaster since our kids love climbing the stairs to the pulpit. We just go up when it's our turn - not that they don't get mad, but hopefully for at least less time. Yeah, aren't you really really happy your boys didn't get the nut allergy?

Tennille said...

Adam asked last night if you took a picture of Shawn in his allergic state and I said that you didn't, cause who really wants to document that? Although, that last picture will probably do ok for recording for posterity, right? So glad he's ok!

And after reading your sacrament meeting experience, I'm really glad that Asher happened to be sick last Sunday so that Jenna just stayed with the babies at home while we spoke. I had pictured a similar disaster as yours and I'm glad we averted it. :)

Laura Ayers said...

Wow- I really enjoyed your talk & now I appreciate it even more! I agree that just leaving is the way to go (literally)! We learned that the hard way with Noah too. It's so interesting being a parent! Glad Shaun's OK.

Angie said...

Glad Isaac is finally grasping the sitter/nursery concept. Sorry it didn't work so well for Sac Mtg talks. Most especially glad that Shawn survived his allergen ordeal!!!
Never a dull moment in family life, eh?

Louise said...

I was hoping to see a picture of his face all swollen!! You know like Will Smith in the movie "Hitch"!! Love you Shawn, Mom

Monica said...

Man...I can't believe you all still went to church after all of that! And Shawn...love the head shot!
Glad you are okay!

Sarah said...

I'm so glad you guys went to the hospital. That's the worse reaction he's ever had, right? I hope he'll carry and epi pen now but not have to use it. Poor Shawn :(
Wow Brooke! I am really impressed by you still speaking in church after only a few hours of sleep. I don't know if I would have. I'm glad to hear things went well with leaving the boys. They look cute and must love their computers like yours.

Spendy said...

Mom already beat me to the "Hitch" comment... That's exactly what I thought of when I first heard the story. Glad you're not dead, bro!

And my word verification word? "dopeyen"... It almost sounds like a definition for what happened to Shawn's face! :)

PS those babies are so dang cute. I want to squeeze them!!!

SuburbiaMom said...

Cute boys and talk story! So sorry about that nutty trip to the ER. Your poor husband!

Jules said...

I can't believe you still spoke. Wait, I can't believe you already had your talk prepared!!