A few weeks ago we were hanging out with a group of friends who all have boys close to the same age as our boys. It seemed as though anytime any child started crying our boys were the culprits. There was a lot of toy stealing and pushing. By the end of the evening we were wondering what was wrong with our children. Why does it seem like our boys are the bullies?
We were reading in a parenting book recently that we need to cut our boys some slack. Twin toddlers are pretty much forced to regularly interact with each other when they are really only ready for parallel play. I've tried to keep that in mind when I'm about ready to pull my hair out during the day because they keep fighting. I'm trying to notice how cute it is that they play games together, race each other around the house, and try and comfort each other when one is sad. They really do love being with each other 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time I can tell they need a break from each other. Too bad that they don't always coordinate that. Invariably one wants to be with just mom while the other one is jumping around in his face trying to get him to play.
Here's a photo from a recent dinner. I left them in their chairs while I cleaned up the mess they made. (Does anyone else have a problem with their kids spitting? They think it's the funniest thing.) They were entertaining each other for 15 minutes like this.
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Having Twins Part 2
Posted by The Spendloves at 6:42 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
That is hilarious! Reminds me of N taking off her clothes when she's at the table, just cause she can.
Maybe they tend to be more aggressive because they know they kind of have a built in gang...they know the other brother has their back!
Do you ever get a chance to take them out one at a time? Like Shawn takes one for an outing while you stay home or go out with the other one so they get one on on time? It might help to give them a break. Even though I don't even have boys that close in age I notice that H and C get that way after awhile too.
oh and the spitting thing is a phase...but if they have a brother that laughs when they do it, it tends to last a little longer :)
Well, they're such cuties, no matter what they're doing!
I think all kids go through a spitting--either doing it to entertain each other or out of frustration with something. I don't really care for it, so I introduced my kids to my friend, Cayenne (my hubby likes to use wasabi powder--which really is worse!)
Yeah, sometimes I'm pretty sure all my kids would be happier as single children. Cause I've got three fighting over the same toys and driving each other nuts. But it is so stinking cute when they play together and make each other laugh - that picture is so cute!
Post a Comment