Monday, June 6, 2011

Big Boys

6. Obviously kids grow up. In some ways I want to keep my twins little forever. But in other ways, I'm happy to see them get older.

I wasn't terribly happy to switch them out of cribs into big boy beds. We almost did it last summer when Austin jumped so much in his crib that he broke some of the metal pieces on the mattress support piece. Yes, this skill should translate into some athletic ability, I'm just not sure what. But luckily a neighbor welded it back together for us. Then in October he started climbing out of his crib and climbing into Isaac's crib. Isaac wouldn't climb out of his crib. So I'd just hear him yelling, "Get out!" Get out!" Even twins need their space. So we gave up and put them in beds. Gone were the days of waking up at 9am. But it was nice while it lasted.

We were however, very happy to stop purchasing and using size 6 diapers this past winter. I kept telling them that there weren't diapers in larger sizes so they really needed to start using the potty. After a grueling week or so, they started to get the idea of using the potty. We had quite a few setbacks... #2 didn't like going #2 in the potty. So I'd have to literally hold him on the potty to get him to go. Or there's the lovely story where they destroyed books, slippers, cars, flooded our bathroom, smeared poop all over their bedding and the carpet in two separate bedrooms, all while I was on a conference call doing a sales demo for work. I was trying so hard not to cry as I heard them flushing over and over and over for 40 minutes straight. (They were supposed to be taking a nap) In the end, through tears, some yelling unfortunately, and a lot of prizes and treats, I would say they're potty-trained.... just in time for us to start changing someone else's diaper.

2 comments:

Monica said...

mom told me about the lovely day of the phone conference. so sorry soooo sorry!! Some days are like that unfortunately!

Spendy said...

One trip to Arizona-- coming right up! Ding!