I like December... a lot. I'm the kind of person who starts listening to Christmas music the day after Halloween because it puts me in a good mood and gets me excited for December. I'm not normally a cheesy person, but Christmas just does something to me.
This year I made a list of things I wanted to do as a family during this month. One of those things was to attend a live nativity that was put on by a stake nearby. We went tonight and braved the cold. I don't know if any one else in my family thinks it was worth it, but I loved it.
I've never seen anything like it. Instead of just the stable scene, they recreated the entire city of Bethlehem it seemed. As we waited in line for an hour and a half (while temperatures were in the 20s I might add) there were people in full costume walking around with animals to pet. There were bonfires every 10 feet to warm your hands by. The wisemen had REAL camels. (No joke, this guy raises camels and donates them to the nativity each year.) And then once you enter Bethlehem everything changes. "Main Street" Bethlehem is in a building and around each corner is a different part of the town... women at the well, a street vendor, a leper, a woman weaving cloth, the innkeeper, and then finally Mary and Joseph with the most perfect little sleeping baby. It was magical inside "Bethlehem." It was a long night, but it ended on a high note... Remembering the reason that we have to celebrate each year, the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ.
Sadly, we didn't bring our camera. But, just to save face, here's a picture of the boys while they were "helping" me rake leaves earlier in the fall.

Thursday, December 3, 2009
O Little Town of Bethlehem
Posted by The Spendloves at 11:40 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




6 comments:
Where is this live Nativity? We're coming to UT for Christmas and would love to see it. Want to come?
Our ward did something like main street Bethlehem for the ward Christmas party one year. I'm sure it was tons of work (I'd just had Bam and was clueless) but it was a transformative experience. What a fun thing to do with your boys--even though it was freezing!
Brooke...was this a one time thing or on going? I would LOVE to go to it! Can you tell me where it is?
Sorry Laurie and Andrea... It was only from November 30 - Dec 3rd. So last night was the last night! But they do it every year. It's very popular and VERY crowded.
WOW!! That is so cool! I wish they had something like that here!
That sounds like it was incredible. I'd love to see something like that. Glad you got to go.
Post a Comment