Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Speaking Freely

Did you know that (at least in our county) that when you call 911 and hang up, they call back to make sure you are okay and then ask you "Are you speaking freely?" If you didn't know this then maybe your toddlers haven't used something random to climb up on the kitchen counters and grab a phone handset and then proceed to hide from you while they dial... and then manage to dial 911. Of all the number combinations!! Thankfully my boys are fascinated with the speakerphone button because it lights up. So I heard the operator say, "911, what is your emergency?" Of course I had to yell "Hold on!" as I chased them around the couch. In the process of trying to grab the phone away from my incredibly fast toddlers, I managed to hang up on her. So she had to call back. That's when she asked if I was speaking freely. I almost started laughing because I wanted to say, "Not really. Would you be speaking freely with twin toddlers?"

They might look innocent but they are so guilty.

4 comments:

Angie said...

What's worse is when the police just give up and show up at your house because "people" keep hanging up on the 911 dispatcher, not to name any names, of course. I'm sitting here just enjoying a little giggle imagining you chasing your boys around the house to avoid talking to the dispatcher again. I should ask my friend who is a dispatcher how many of her calls are toddler related.

Kendra said...

That is hilarious! I have enjoyed your million posts :). You are my inspiration. Ha ha ha! Did you know that if you dial weird short number combinations sometimes the 911 operators will call and ask if there is an emergency...I know this because Tori was a culprit many times when she stole our cell phones!

Monica said...

awesome...just awesome! Is that how you answered the call? "not really!"
hee hee

Jules said...

HAHA! This happened to some friends and I when we were at her house. I'm still not sure which kid actually dialed because Luke and one of hers had the phone. We also hung up, they called back and of course there were the beautiful sounds of children in the back ground. We told her it was fine and the kids had dialed. About 4 minutes later there was a knock at the door--it was a cop! He was making sure everything was okay!